MIDWEEK PENNANT MATCHPLAY FINAL
From the Club….
The 2019 Midweek Matchplay Pennant Final was played on Friday at the Dunes between the two fantastic Mornington teams, the Reds and the Sea Eagles. The two teams have both had sensational seasons brushing aside the other 22 teams to reach the final. It was such a shame that one team had to lose as they are both winners in our eyes!
Breaking news just came through from The Dunes this afternoon that the Reds were victorious and won the Flag! Congratulations to the Red team of James Whelan, Peter Treseder, John Shackleton, Trevor Morrison, Merv Williams, David Davidson, Dennis Pratt, Bill English and Andrew Graham. Mornington is very proud of you all. Commiserations to the defiant Sea Eagles who did so well in reaching the final, well done!
Report from Reds Captain Merv Williams below….
The Mornington Reds ventured to the Dunes for the final of the Men’s Midweek Matchplay against Mornington Sea Eagles.
The Mornington Reds played some inspiring golf winning 41/2 – 2 1/2.
- Peter Treseder – won 6/4 against John Forster.
- David Davidson – a tough battle all day against Bruce Morley. Match going down the 19th when the final result came through. Match halved.
- Dennis Pratt – lost 5/4 against Ken Laird.
- Trevor Morrison – won 3/1. Had a great tussle against John Pearson.
- Andrew Graham defeated Alan Callaway 1up after 19 holes of competitive golf all day.
- James Whelan lost 3/2 against Robert Romeril.
- Merv Williams winning 7/6 against Brian “Sterling” Moss.
- John Shackleton – reserve – had a nice win 4/3 against Pat Kelaart
Thank you to the all the players of the Mornington Golf Club who supported the Mornington Reds and Mornington Sea Eagles during the year.
Mornington Reds Captain
From the Sea Eagles Captain, Allan Callaway…
Mornington Reds proved too strong today for Mornington Sea Eagles in the 2019 Midweek Match Play Final at The Dunes Golf Links in a Contest that went all the way to the 19th.
The Reds after winning their Division progressed through the Elimination round, the Semi-Final then to play the better golf in the Final to win the 2019 Midweek Match Play Pennant 4.5 matches – 2.5
Congratulations Mornington Reds!
- Jon Forster had a tough match against Peter Treseder who won his match 6/4.
- Bruce Morley was still in there to the last when his match was halved against David Davidson when the final result came through.
- Ken Laird was able to get on top in his match after 9 to win 5/4 against Dennis Pratt.
- John Pearson took on his old sparring partner in a tight match against Trevor Morrison who took the honours 3/1.
- Robert Romeril was consistent all day to win 3/2 against James Whelan.
- Allan Callaway went down the 19th against Andrew Graham who won 1up.
- Brian “Stirling” Moss had his first loss for the season going down to the Reds skipper Merv Williams 7/6.
- Pat Kelaart on his favourite course lost to John Shackleton 4/3.
I would like to congratulate all the Mornington Sea Eagles Team for making the Final which has been an outstanding achievement. Thank you all for your support and the way you have represented the Mornington Golf Club throughout the home and away rounds and in the finals.
Big “Thank YOU” to our Sponsors for supporting our Midweek Match Play Teams throughout the Season.
Captain Mornington Sea Eagles
2019 Sponsors of the Mornington Midweek Matchplay Teams. Please consider using their services when the opportunity arises.