There are some changes to how golfers will play the areas to the RHS of the 18th green effective 1 June 2019. The roped off area to the RHS of the 18th green is now GUR (not compulsory) and relief … Read MoreDemo
May, 2019 Monthly archive
Temporary Local Rules at 31 May 2019
There are some changes to how golfers will play the areas to the RHS of the 18th green effective 1 June 2019.
- The roped off area to the RHS of the 18th green is now GUR (not compulsory) and relief may be taken under Rule 16.1.
- Preferred lies are no longer permitted in the re-turfed area to the RHS of the 18th green. The area is now in play as normal.
- The putting green and the outdoor terrace area near the 18th green is a NO PLAY ZONE. The player must take free relief by using the nearest dropping zone to where the ball came to rest. Drop Zones are marked with painted white lines or with a Drop Zone sign. *When dropping your ball next to a Drop Zone sign the ball must be dropped within one club length of the sign no nearer the hole.
Click HERE for the latest Temp Local Rules.
Ladies Matchplay Winners!
The Ladies Matchplay Championships finals were played on Tuesday in what can only be described as atrocious weather conditions.
The gusting icy wind and the regular downpours from the heavens combined to make playing golf one of the hardest things to attempt to do, but our Mornington ladies are tough and not to be deterred they completed all three finals!
The A Grade Final was between, who else, but June Tickell and one of her regular combatants, Sue Evans. June played some sensational golf considering the conditions to win the final. Sue played well but couldn’t quite keep up with the class of our reigning Club Champion June.
In the B Grade Final, Ange Stephens fought back from being 4 down at the turn to get over the line against Libby Stewart. It truly was a game of two halves and lucky for Ange she was on top when it counted!
The C Grade Final was won by Sue Pratt who has had such a successful start to her golfing career at MGC. She was just good enough on the day to defeat her good friend Brendan Jenkins to secure the C Grade spoils.
Congratulations to our worthy winners and to the runners up for reaching the final and gallantly performing so well.
Mornington Reds Win 2019 Midweek Pennant Flag!
MIDWEEK PENNANT MATCHPLAY FINAL
From the Club….
The 2019 Midweek Matchplay Pennant Final was played on Friday at the Dunes between the two fantastic Mornington teams, the Reds and the Sea Eagles. The two teams have both had sensational seasons brushing aside the other 22 teams to reach the final. It was such a shame that one team had to lose as they are both winners in our eyes!
Breaking news just came through from The Dunes this afternoon that the Reds were victorious and won the Flag! Congratulations to the Red team of James Whelan, Peter Treseder, John Shackleton, Trevor Morrison, Merv Williams, David Davidson, Dennis Pratt, Bill English and Andrew Graham. Mornington is very proud of you all. Commiserations to the defiant Sea Eagles who did so well in reaching the final, well done!
Report from Reds Captain Merv Williams below….
The Mornington Reds ventured to the Dunes for the final of the Men’s Midweek Matchplay against Mornington Sea Eagles.
The Mornington Reds played some inspiring golf winning 41/2 – 2 1/2.
- Peter Treseder – won 6/4 against John Forster.
- David Davidson – a tough battle all day against Bruce Morley. Match going down the 19th when the final result came through. Match halved.
- Dennis Pratt – lost 5/4 against Ken Laird.
- Trevor Morrison – won 3/1. Had a great tussle against John Pearson.
- Andrew Graham defeated Alan Callaway 1up after 19 holes of competitive golf all day.
- James Whelan lost 3/2 against Robert Romeril.
- Merv Williams winning 7/6 against Brian “Sterling” Moss.
- John Shackleton – reserve – had a nice win 4/3 against Pat Kelaart
Thank you to the all the players of the Mornington Golf Club who supported the Mornington Reds and Mornington Sea Eagles during the year.
Mornington Reds Captain
From the Sea Eagles Captain, Allan Callaway…
Mornington Reds proved too strong today for Mornington Sea Eagles in the 2019 Midweek Match Play Final at The Dunes Golf Links in a Contest that went all the way to the 19th.
The Reds after winning their Division progressed through the Elimination round, the Semi-Final then to play the better golf in the Final to win the 2019 Midweek Match Play Pennant 4.5 matches – 2.5
Congratulations Mornington Reds!
- Jon Forster had a tough match against Peter Treseder who won his match 6/4.
- Bruce Morley was still in there to the last when his match was halved against David Davidson when the final result came through.
- Ken Laird was able to get on top in his match after 9 to win 5/4 against Dennis Pratt.
- John Pearson took on his old sparring partner in a tight match against Trevor Morrison who took the honours 3/1.
- Robert Romeril was consistent all day to win 3/2 against James Whelan.
- Allan Callaway went down the 19th against Andrew Graham who won 1up.
- Brian “Stirling” Moss had his first loss for the season going down to the Reds skipper Merv Williams 7/6.
- Pat Kelaart on his favourite course lost to John Shackleton 4/3.
I would like to congratulate all the Mornington Sea Eagles Team for making the Final which has been an outstanding achievement. Thank you all for your support and the way you have represented the Mornington Golf Club throughout the home and away rounds and in the finals.
Big “Thank YOU” to our Sponsors for supporting our Midweek Match Play Teams throughout the Season.
Captain Mornington Sea Eagles
2019 Sponsors of the Mornington Midweek Matchplay Teams. Please consider using their services when the opportunity arises.
Bendigo Bank Referral Program – $35,000 paid to the Club so far!
Bendigo Bank have been fantastic supporters of the Mornington Golf Club over a number of years with their annual sponsorship, business banking support and more recently with sponsorship of a number of members golf events. We have a really good relationship with them and our relationship has gone from strength to strength over the past two year since Club Member Gary Millen has accepted the role of Senior Branch Manager at the Bendigo Bank branches in Mornington and Frankston. The Referral Scheme has provided some fantastic benefits to Mornington Golf Club and its Members with more than $35,000 having been paid to the Club as a result of members taking out loans with the Bendigo Bank.
These extra funds received from the Bendigo Bank have paid for the wonderful new Bendigo Bank Outdoor Terrace that we are all enjoying. Looking forward to the next project that will be funded by the members who are contributing to the Bendigo Bank referral scheme
The Bendigo Bank referral program works as follows….
If a member takes out a home loan, home equity loan, personal loan or business loan or has a new business overdraft or a credit card facility with Bendigo Bank the Club will receive a payment which will amount to an agreed % of the loan amount. There will also be benefits available to members in the form of discount rates which will be negotiated at the time.
Eg. Home Loan of $500k x 0.20% will generate $1000 for the club.
Bendigo bank is also offering the Club a commission on the balance of all deposit accounts held at the Bendigo Bank by Club members so if the total balance of all members account combined is over $5,000,000 they will pay a rate of commission of 0.25% per annum to the Club. This could equate to at least $12,500 cash being paid to the Club annually so if you are considering changing your bank or are in the market for a home, business or personal loan why not talk to Gary Millen at the Bendigo Bank. If you have a bank account with Bendigo Bank you must email Gary and let him know to include it in the balance of accounts held.
If you have any questions regarding the Bendigo Bank Referral program or wish to discuss any Banking requirements please contact Gary Millen via email at Gary.Millen@bendigoadelaide.com.au or call him on his mobile – 0435 781 605
Support your Club by supporting the Bendigo Bank.
PLEASE NOTE THAT NO PERSONAL INFORMATION REGARDING MEMBERS LOANS OR ACCOUNTS IS PROVIDED TO THE CLUB
9th, 18th & Putting Green works – Before and after video
To download a copy of the Course Master Plan Report click HERE
To download a copy of the Course Master Plan click HERE
2019 MEN’S CLUB CHAMPIONSHIPS – IMPORTANT CHANGES
The Match Subcommittee has decided to trial some changes to the Men’s Club Championships starting from the 2019 event.
The changes are as follows.
- The A, B & C Grade Club Championships will now all be 72 hole events played over four consecutive Saturdays in November.
- There will be a cut after 36 holes and the top 16 and ties will progress to the final 36 holes and be eligible to win the event.
- The Top 16 players and ties in each grade will play together in reserved time slots at the end of the afternoon field for the final two rounds.
- If a player does not wish to play in the 3rd round their place will not be filled by the next in line.
- The revised dates for the Club Championships are as follows: 1st Round – 9th November, 2nd Round – 16th November, 3rd Round 23 November, Final Round – 30 November.
- Revised Conditions of Play for the event will be posted in due course.
If any members have any questions regarding the changes please do not hesitate to contact me.
Sue wins May Medal and June sets new course record!
Well done to Sue Evans on her fabulous Nett 70 which won her today’s May Medal.
It was a day of fantastic scoring with just 6 shots separating the top 9 players.
We also had a new Ladies Course Record set by none other than June Tickell! June claimed the honour after shooting an excellent 80 off the stick. Well done June. Abby Coombes was really close with Gross 81 and Sue Evans had an 82.
Another great day at Mornington….
NEW MEN’S COURSE RECORD – 75 – BRAD HARRIS
Handheld and Watch GPS distance issues
Any member with a handheld or watch version of a Sureshot, Golf Buddy or Garmin will be aware that the new 18th and the 19th hole is yet to feature on your device.
What you will also find is that the device will default to the ‘old’ 18th green which is 25m longer than the new 18th green.
Please keep this in mind when you are hitting into the green so as not to overshoot.
We are in communication with both Sureshot, Golf Buddy and Garmin with regard to updating their records so that all devices can be accurate.
CORRECT GOLF CART USE – IMPORTANT
Members are reminded that the following rules are in place regarding golf cart use at Mornington.
It is important that these rules are followed to minimize damage to our already fragile course.
Please read them carefully and ensure that you follow them.
GOLF CART RULES
- ONLY DRIVE THE GOLF CART ON THE FAIRWAY AND ON CART PATHS
- DO NOT DRIVE THE GOLF CART IN THE ROUGH
- DO NOT DRIVE THE GOLF CART WITHIN 10 METRES OF THE GREENS
- DO NOT DRIVE THE GOLF CART ON THE TEES
- YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE YOU CAUSE TO THE GOLF CART
- FAILURE TO ADHERE TO THE ABOVE RULES COULD RESULT IN YOUR GOLF CART USE BEING RESTRICTED
Members cooperation with this will be greatly appreciated.
Get in Touch